Having proper headsets may not mean much for casual gamers, but if you’re committed to the cause, they’re a must-have accessory.
Gaming headsets help to create the immersive experience that we all love by adding a sense of realism to a game that the speakers on a PC or TV simply can’t achieve. They also give you the opportunity to interact, strategize and talk smack with other players online.
However, as with all consumer products, not all headsets are great. Without the right approach, you may end up wasting your money on a pair that won’t do you any good. The key to shopping for a gaming headset is to determine what you want in your headset and then match a product to these needs.
Below are some questions you should answer before buying a gaming headset.
- SUPERIOR SOUND PERFORMANCE: The advanced Pro-GTM audio drivers deliver incredible audio with stereo, 7.1 Dolby Surround, or 7.1 DTS Headphone: X Surround Sound
- MULTI-PLATFORM COMPATIBILITY: This is the perfect headset for all of your devices, including PCs, PS3s, PS4s, the Xbox One and any TV with powered USB or RCA audio output
- 2.4GHz WIRELESS OR WIRED CONNECTION: Get up to 12 hours of wireless battery life without lighting or 8 hours with default lighting on a lag-free wireless connection. This is also available with analog cable connections for unlimited connectivity
- MULTIPLE SOURCE AUDIO MIXING: Plug in up to three devices (1 USB and 2 analog) to answer calls and play music while gaming
- FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE: Enjoy a seamless, personalized gaming experience with customizable RGB lighting, swappable backlit custom tags, and 3 programmable G-keys to assign macros for complex game commands
1. Will the headset be compatible with your gaming system?
There is no point to buying a gaming headset if it’s incompatible with the platform you will be using. Before reaching for your wallet, check whether your intended pair will work on your gaming machine, be it a Windows PC, Mac, PlayStation, or Xbox.
The more expensive headsets are typically designed for multi-platform use, which is great because you won’t need to buy a second pair when you decide to shift from one system to another.
2. Is the headset comfortable enough for long-hour gaming?
Many headsets, especially in the under $100 price range, will be dreadfully uncomfortable to wear for even a few minutes.
Because you’ll be plowing through your favorite games for hours on end, you will want to find a headset that feels pleasant and stress-free when on your head. Things like tight squeezes on the ears, a terrible fit, and poor sound are just not acceptable.
The easiest way to know if a headset will be comfortable for gaming is to check reviews online. Important factors of a comfortable headset include soft and thick padding, sizeable ear-cups, a flexible headband and weight.
3. Is the headset durable?
Gaming won’t be too rough on your headsets, but you still want to get a pair that will last a while. Remember, gaming is an ongoing activity, that can’t afford the interruptions inflicted by something like a faulty headset.
The price of a headset is often a fair representation of its durability, but you should also read reviews online. A good quality pair from a reputable manufacturer will be made of rigid materials, complete with reinforced joints and thick cables. On the other hand, cheap gaming headsets are usually flimsy and easy to break, with tiny screws and delicate plastic.
4. How good is the sound quality?
Competitive and home gaming heavily relies on being able to pick up on interactive in-game sounds and react as quickly as possible. It, therefore, goes without saying that the headset you choose must be able to offer high-quality sound.
While it’s easy to distinguish between good and bad sound, gamers tend to have different preferences, which mostly depend on the games they play. If you’re a fan of first-person shooter titles, for example, you’ll probably want a headset that can deliver powerful bass to bring to life sounds of gunfire and explosions.
Some high-end gaming headsets offer surround sound by placing several small speakers in the ears instead of just one. If the games you intend to play will require a great sense of awareness, then surround system will be very useful.
Another handy feature to look for is noise cancellation. Some gaming headsets will use the external microphone to cancel any background noise, allowing you to play away regardless of the chaos going on around you.
5. Wait, what about the microphone?
The gaming headset you buy must come with a microphone. Playing online is a huge aspect of gaming nowadays, and it’s crucial that your headset gives you the ability to communicate with other gamers.
Check online to see if any user reviews for the headset you intend to buy have mentioned the microphone. A good mic will be able to distinguish between your voice and background noise so that your online friends won’t hear an open mic when you’re not talking.
6. Wired or wireless?
Few gamers would buy a wired headset when they have the option of going wireless. However, although this question is a no-brainer, wireless isn’t always as full-proof as you may think.
Because a wireless headset connects to a gaming platform via Bluetooth and wireless networks, there will always be a small possibility of interference.
Nevertheless, the convenience of never having to deal with cables cannot be understated. If you’re a VR gamer, for instance, the last thing you need is another set of cables to lug around.
7. How much should you spend on a gaming headset?
The price structure of gaming headsets is remarkably wide. If you’ve just spent top-dollar on a high-end gaming PC, don’t sweat. You could get a decent headset for under $100. Just be sure to do as much research as possible to find the best headset in your price range.
However, the price tag will, in most cases, give you an indication of the level of quality to expect. Investing hundreds of dollars in a gaming headset may seem a little ludicrous, but you will very likely be getting a comfortable, high-quality headset that will stand the test of time.
It’s really no different than dropping a bunch of money on a great PS4 gaming chair that’ll keep you comfortable for several hours while you game.
Serious gamers always take pride in having the hardware and software necessary for a great gaming experience, and this includes quality headsets. Let the tips above be your guide to picking up a gaming headset that will be perfect for your needs.
We Grabbed a List of Amazon Bestselling Gaming Headsets!
- DTS Headphone: X and Dolby 7.1 surround sound: Experience an immersive 360-degree sound field that lets you hear what you can't see
- Built for comfort: Lightweight design and soft sport cloth ear cups with 90-degree swivel for maximum comfort and a personalized fit
- Folding, noise-cancelling boom mic: Reduces background noise for clear voice pick up and rotates up and out of the way
- Impedance: 32 Ohms . On-cable sound controls: Volume dial and mute switch are close at hand for quick audio adjustments
- Compatibility: Works with PS4 and Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7 or Windows Vista computers. Sensitivity: 90dB SPL/mW
- 【Superb Compatibility for Multi-Platform】 Support PS4, PS4 Pro/Slim, Xbox One, Xbox One S/X controller, PC, Nintendo Switch/3DS, PSP, Laptop, Computer, Tablet, iPad, Mobile Phone. NOTE: an extra Microsoft Adapter is required (Not Included) when connecting with an OLD VERSION Xbox One controller.
- 【Adjustable Noise-cancellation Microphone】 The gaming headsets are omnidirectional adjustable and flexible to pick up voice in 360 degree. External Audio Control： Mute button and volume control housed on military grade durable braided wire are designed conveniently for quick and convenient adjustment.
- 【Immersive in Super Real Gaming Experience】 High-grade 50mm driver with neodymium magnets delivers clean clear bass and acoustic positioning precision, you can feel the full force of an explosion, a grenade blast, or a dubstep drop. Perfect for Various Games: Like Halo 5 Guardians, Metal Gear Solid, Call of Duty, Star Wars Battlefront, Overwatch, World of Warcraft Legion, etc.
- 【Humanized Design, Built to Stay Comfortable】 The softly padded retractable headband design allows you to find the perfect fit without constraint and provide excellent durability, suits all gamers at any age. The synthetic leather-wrapped ear-cushions is thicker and bigger which ensures play-all-night comfort! PLUG & PLAY: No setup or installation necessary.
- 【Uniquely Designed Gorgeous Led Lights】 Big led lights designed on earcups is cool enough to maximizely blast the atmosphere of the whole game. The USB interface is only used to supply power to the LED lights on the earcups. What You Get： 1 x G2000 Gaming headset, 1 x packaged gift box and 1 x user manual, our 12 months worry-free product guarantee and friendly customer service.
- 【World-leading Gaming Headset Brand】 As the leader of the gaming headset industry, ONIKUMA focuses on the innovation of design and technology to provide the best gaming experience to customer from all over the world. ONIKUMA has sold more than 2,000,000 gaming headsets with microphone and been favorably reviewed by more than 1,000,000 customers.
- 【Super Real Gaming Experience】ONIKUMA K5 gaming headset maximizes the clarity of sound with 7.1 Surround technology! Just take your gaming experience to a higher level! Headset innovates in shape and breathable material for play-all-night comfort! Padded softly, the over-ear ergonomic ear cup is thicker and bigger to isolate ambient noise.
- 【Great Wide Compatibility】ONIKUMA PS4 gaming headset works on Nintendo Switch (audio), Nintendo New 3DS LL/3DS (audio), Nintendo 3DS LL/3DS (audio), Windows PC, Mac OS PC, iOS device, Android device, PS4, PS vita, PSP, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Xbox One needs accessory to support.
- 【Best-in-Class Driver and Mic】 High-grade 50mm driver with neodymium magnets delivers clean clear bass. ONIKUMA PC gaming headsets are omnidirectional adjustable and flexible to pick up sound in 360 degree. Equipped with super strong cords and joints, ONIKUMA USB gaming headset features long-lasting durability.
- 【24-Month-Long Life Span】ONIKUMA headset has completely protects circuit and makes its life span 3 times than other gaming headsets. Every wired gaming headset we ships out undergoes strict quality checks. We offer a FREE REPLACEMENT POLICY and 24-MONTH MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. Totally no worries for you!