The Xbox One, the latest video game console from Microsoft, may be lagging a bit behind the Playstation 4 in terms of sales, but it’s still going strong with millions of gamers. As with any major player in the console industry, there are now hundreds of different headsets that Xbox One gamers can pick from. Products from big brands such as Turtle Beach and Tritton exist, but there are tons of other options from companies like Astro, Skullcandy, and PDP, too.
Finding the perfect headset that meets your needs for gaming, comfort, and price can be pretty difficult, though. There are loads of different options to choose from, all of them vary in quality, there are wired and wireless versions to consider, and prices vary wildly from model to model. No worries, though, we’re here to help! Below you’ll find a list of our absolute favorite headset models and more.
Best Xbox One Headset
Below we’ve provided a list of what we believe are the five best gaming headsets available for the Xbox One console. Our team has thoroughly tested more than 30 different headsets from multiple brands to determine which ones perform the best in terms of game audio output, chat audio, comfort, durability, price, and more. Use the list below to narrow down your selection and find the headset that’s best suited for you.
#1 ASTRO Gaming A40
Superb headset with all the bells and whistles.
Astro has quickly become our all-time favorite company for headsets. The A40 is wired which is one of the only downsides, but the headset provides such clear and brilliant audio that it’s hard not to love it. It really enriches your gaming experience no matter what game you’re playing. For FPS games, it’s amazing for picking up enemy movements in your position. For RPGs and open world titles, it’s incredible for really taking in the sounds of the environment, characters, and the overall story.
Here’s a quick overview of our scores for this Xbox One headset:
Sound Quality: 9.5/10
Ease of Use: 9/10
Level of Comfort: 9/10
Overall Rating: 9.2/10
We really love this headset. It comes bundled with a mix amp that allows the user to quickly and easily adjust both game and voice volumes on the fly. Plus, there are three different equalizer settings that can be adjusted for bass, treble, and so on to further customize your game audio.
On top of that the A40 is easily one of the most comfortable headsets we’ve tested, too. It’s lightweight and well-padded for both your head and your ears. It makes playing games for hours on end a breeze. Other headsets leave your ears feeling numb or irritated. Plus, the headset is completely adjustable to accommodate nearly any person’s head and it doesn’t slip down after playing for a while either.
No Batteries Required
Unlike other models that feature a mix amp, the Astro A40 gaming headset does not require the use of batteries. The other reason for this, though, is that the headset is completely wired. So, while it’s nice going completely wireless, you do get to avoid buying and swapping out batteries all the time.
The Astro A40 headset is compatible with both the Xbox One console and the PC. It uses a 3.5 mm cable which can be used on a similar PC input or inserted directly into the included MixAmp for use with the Xbox One.
We truly think the A40 is the BEST Xbox One headset available right now.
Enhance your gaming experience today. CLICK HERE to get this awesome headset for your Xbox One from Amazon right now!
- - Nouveau casque Astro Gaming A40 + MixAmp M80 XBOX ONE Blanc / Bleu- Vous allez pouvoir gouter aux
- joies d'un vrai système wireless- Comprend : * Casque A40TM, MixAmpTM M80 * Câbles du
- casque : 0.5M
- Micro-USB Cable, 1.0M
- A40 Câble audio\r\n - Le MixAmpTM M80 vous permet de régler votre équilibre sonore jeu-voix, de
#2 – Skullcandy Gaming SLYR
For the longest time Skullcandy was considered an “off-brand” headset company. That opinion has changed in the last couple of years thanks to their products becoming more high-quality. The SLYR headset is an excellent example of this. This headset provides professional-grade audio for both game sounds and chat audio. It manages all sound through the included SKDY GMX-1 mixer that connects directly to your Xbox One controller and gives you the ability to adjust volume. This is a wireless headset.
Sound Quality: 8.5/10
Ease of Use: 8/10
Level of Comfort: 8.5/10
Overall Rating: 8.3/10
The SLYR has a lightweight, comfortable design that fits well and feels amazing on your ears. The ear cups have plenty of cushioning so your ears won’t be bothered even during long gaming sessions. The band is also padded for comfort whereas other models just have a thick piece of plastic that irritates the head after a while.
Here’s a look at some of the other features of this headset:
- Adjustable Mic
- Adjustable Headset
- Short Connection Cord
- Comfortable Design
- Superior Sound Quality
Overall, it’s an excellent headset that we would highly recommend. The only bad thing about it is that it doesn’t adjust enough to accommodate individuals with very large or very small heads. People with an average head size will find it extremely comfortable and well-fitted, though.
Want to know more about it? CLICK HERE to read reviews and see prices on Amazon.
Got a good headset already? We highly recommend buying a great Xbox One gaming chair to go with it so you can play games for hours on end in style and comfort.
- The SLYR Halo Edition wired headset brings Supreme Sound enhanced audio and attacking bass to the next generation of gaming.
- The SKDY GMX-1 mixer connects directly to the controller to provide excellent stereo game sound and chat audio.
- With plush cushions, a soft touch finish and metallic accents, this headset is not only a must-have for any Halo fan, but rocks a comfort level that lasts even after a long night of matchmaking.
- Experience complete immersion into the Halo universe with this Xbox One licensed headset.
- Wireless to Console: The GMX-1 Mixer provides wireless console connection for mobility in battle.
#3 – Turtle Beach Ear Force XO One Gaming Headset
Turtle Beach is easily one of the most respected and recognized names in the gaming industry. They’ve been one of the leading producers of gaming headsets for several years now. Their products are generally fairly good and well worth the money. In our honest opinion, the Ear Force XO is one of their most impressive headsets for the Xbox One.
Here’s what we think of this product:
Sound Quality: 8/10
Ease of Use: 7/10
Level of Comfort: 7.5/10
Overall Rating: 7.5/10
The sound quality of the XOs is phenomenal. The high ends are crisp and clear. The bass thumps and has great clarity, too. Overall, this headset gives you a great audio experience. The only downside is the fact that it’s a wired version. Nevertheless, it provides excellent performance and comfort for a very reasonable price.
Audio Controls and Mic Overview
The Ear Force XO comes with an audio controller that allows the user to quickly and easily adjust both game and chat audio. Plus, you can make use of features such as mic mute, bass boost, and mic monitoring for even further sound customization. Volume is easily controlled, too, view easy-to-use controls. The mic is pretty sensitive so you don’t have to strain your voice while chatting with friends or randoms online. Audio comes through crystal clear as well. There are no buzzing or hissing sounds to be heard.
Another big bonus to this headset is the comfort level. The overall design is much smaller and lighter than other similar models. The ear cups feature mesh cushioning that reduce slipping and provide a great feel. The Ear Force XO is an excellent choice for Xbox One gamers that play for several hours at a time.
Need more info? CLICK HERE to check out this headset over on Amazon right now!
- High Quality 50mm Speakers - Hear every crisp high and thundering low with these large 50mm speakers
- Headset Audio Controller - Connects to any Xbox One controller and puts all audio controls conveniently at your fingertips
- Crystal Clear Chat - An adjustable, high-sensitivity mic picks-up your voice loud and clear, and can be removed when watching movies or listening to music
- Lightweight & Comfortable - Play for hours (or days) in complete comfort.
- Versatile Compatibility - Works great with all Xbox One controllers and compatible mobile/tablet devices with a 3.5mm connection
#4 – Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 Gaming Headset
Yes, another model from Turtle Beach has cracked our top five. The main reason we chose to hand fourth place to the Ear Force X12 is because this headset provides decent audio, sound customization, and comfort for an incredibly affordable price. It’s one of the cheapest models on our list and if you’re looking for a headset that sounds and feels great but don’t want to spend a ton of money, this is an excellent choice.
Here’s our opinion of the X12:
Sound Quality: 7.5/10
Ease of Use: 7/10
Level of Comfort: 7/10
Overall Rating: 7.2/10
The X12 Xbox One headset features enhanced audio for improving your gaming experience. An in-line amplifier is used to quickly make adjustments to game volume, chat volume, and even add bass boost. It’s not a complex equalizer by any means, but it does give the option to balance out game and voice audio the way you like it with ease.
The headset is powered by USB, too. This means you won’t have to fumble around looking for a pair of charged batteries to insert into the headset for it to work. The headset is completely adjustable, too, to fit your head. This model is also lightweight making it ideal for late-night gaming. The mic is sensitive and is adjustable via a flexible boom-style microphone.
The Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 is a wired-style headset designed for PC, Xbox 360, and Xbox One. To make it work for the Xbox One you’ll have to purchase the headset adapter from Microsoft (also sold on Amazon).
Interested in this one? CLICK HERE to get it from Amazon right now!
- Amplified Audio - Enhances game sounds for a more immersive experience
- In-line Amplifier - Quick access to Turtle Beach gaming audio controls
- Variable Bass Boost - Adds depth and realism to the Xbox 360 game audio
- Microphone Monitor - Allows you to hear your own voice in the headset to avoid shouting
- USB Powered - No batteries required
#5 – Microsoft Xbox One Headset
This is the official stereo headset for the Xbox One that is manufactured by Microsoft. The design is rather simplistic, but the sound quality is decent, the headset if moderately comfortable to wear, it features a unidirectional mic that is moderately sensitive, and is super easy to use right out of the box.
Here’s how we rated this headset:
Sound Quality: 6.5/10
Ease of Use: 8/10
Level of Comfort: 6/10
Overall Rating: 6.8/10
We used to despise the headsets provided by the makers of consoles. Back when the Xbox 360 launched, Microsoft supplied gamers with an incredibly cheap, easy to break headset that felt awful, had extremely terrible audio quality, and often shorted out after extended use. Thankfully, they company has stepped up their game with the launch of the Xbox One. This new standard headset is much better made and provides a decent audio experience.
The sound quality definitely isn’t on the same level as our top four picks, but it’s still decent. The headset is a bit more durable than the 360 models, too, but it’s still not quite as tough as Astro, Turtle Beach, or Skullcandy models. This Microsoft-branded headset is somewhat comfortable, but definitely not ideal for long gaming sessions as it’s not as well-padded as other models.
The audio is decent. The high ends are crisp and the low ends definitely provide good bass, but the quality just isn’t enough to rival the others on our list. But, if you’re in the market for a decent headset that is affordable, the Xbox One stereo headset isn’t a bad choice.
Want to order this headset? CLICK HERE to view current prices, read reviews, and more over on Amazon.com.
That does it for picks for best Xbox One headset. New models will likely release this year and we will update this list if and when new headsets outperform the ones mentioned above.
- Includes detachable Stereo Headset Adapter that puts the audio controls at your fingertips including volume up/down, microphone mute, and controls game/ chat balance.
- Sign in to Xbox Live to receive the latest console updates. Initial setup may require significant update. Internet connection required for updates; ISP fees apply.
- Unidirectional microphone for clear voice capture
- Easy to set up: No complex wires to your console. Wired only to the Wireless Controller.
- Full range audio spectrum (20Hz-20kHz) for deep bass, all the way to crystal clear high frequencies
Did you pick out a headset that is primarily intended for the Xbox 360? Most of these headsets are still compatible with the new console but, in order for them to work properly, you have to use a special piece of equipment. This is the official Xbox One stereo headset adapter. It’s not super cheap, though, unfortunately. But, if you’re using a legacy headset, you’ll need it in order to get game and chat sound working
Looking for PS4 models? Check out our list of the best Playstation 4 headsets instead!
- An Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter is already included with new stereo headsets designed for Xbox One. Just plug the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter that came with your headset into your controller and then connect the headset.
- Most stereo gaming headsets with a 3.5mm audio jack (that use the CTIA plug standard) can get chat and stereo game audio directly through the Xbox One
- No need to connect anything to the console or TV/ receiver. A microphone is required for chat.
- Legacy stereo gaming headsets for Xbox 360 can get game audio by connecting the legacy stereo headset to the back of the Xbox One console using the S/PDIF port, or to the TV/receiver with RCA cables ( just like on Xbox 360). Get chat audio by connecting the 2.5mm chat cable from your legacy stereo gaming headset to the adapter, using the included audio jack adapter cable. A microphone is required for chat.