While quite a few self-declared “serious” gamers tend to scoff at wireless headsets in general since there’s a good chance of getting killed because of lag, there’s still a lot to be said about wireless headsets. For one, the lack of wires can be a blessing since you don’t have to worry about tangles anymore.
Also, if you’re the type who likes to make extravagant hand gestures when playing, like when Italians talk to each other, then you don’t have to worry about hitting the wire with your hands and accidentally disconnecting or even breaking things.
Best Wireless Gaming Headsets to Get
Choosing among headsets is, of course, a matter of preference, but all in all the following recommendations can give you a good start to finding the best wireless gaming headset for your gaming needs.
Top 4 Picks
While we have hand-selected several different headsets further down the page, the following four are our absolute favorite models that we highly recommend. These options highlight the best headsets to get for PC, Xbox One, and PS4 platforms.
#1 – LucidSound LS30 Wireless Gaming Headset
Our first and most-recommended choice is the LucidSound LS30 Wireless Universal Gaming Headset. This is the ultimate pair of headphones for any gamer.
User Rating: 4.0/5
Platform: PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, PS3, Mobile
LucidSound isn’t a widely known brand in the world of gaming just yet, but they should be. The LS30 is a testament of the quality this company can produce. The headset is ultra comfortable, has great battery life, looks fantastic, provides ultra high-quality audio, and it’s built to last.
Whether you’re raiding in WoW and need a great headset for TeamSpeak or coordinating with your team in Overwatch on console – the LucidSound LS30 is an excellent wireless headset for any gamer.
- Combat Ready Precision Audio: Our focus is delivering flawless high quality PC and console audio that delivers total immersion into your game and precision audio to provide a competitive advantage. No one will be able to sneak up behind you with LucidSound on your team.
- Quality Dual Mic System: The mic is the most important part of a PC gaming headset and what differentiates gaming headsets from headphones. The technology for clear communication during a game on PC and Console is different than the mic for a phone call. That's why we offer you two mics on LucidSound headsets so you can have crystal clear chat regardless of the device you are using.
- Build Quality - Durable and Reliable: Its quality you can see and feel. LucidSound's uncompromising commitment to quality requires we use the best materials and components for durability and reliability. No cheap plastic parts for LucidSound.
- Advanced Wireless Technology: LucidSound, the leader in advanced technology for a new generation of gamers, delivers clear, reliable wireless audio for game and chat including support for Windows Sonic Surround Sound on Xbox One and Windows 10.
- Superior Comfort for Long Play Sessions: LucidSound headsets are designed to be lightweight and comfortable for all shapes and sizes. With soft cushioned earcups and an adjustable headband you will forget you are wearing a headset.
#2 – Turtle Beach Stealth 420X Wireless Headset
For Xbox One fans, we deeply encourage checking out the Turtle Beach Stealth 420X Wireless Gaming Headset. This is a superb set of cans that deliver crystal clear audio, great range, and a whole lot more.
User Rating: 4.2/5
Platform: Xbox One
Turtle Beach has been a leader in the gaming headset industry for many years now. While not all of their models are fantastic, the Stealth 420X really stands out in the crowd. It works beautifully with the Xbox One console, sits comfortably atop your head without irritation, delivers amazing audio, and is just a great set of headphones altogether.
Turtle Beach also makes models compatible with the PS4, PC, and even older platforms such as the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. This particular set is only suited for the Xbox One and Xbox One S. Want a bigger selection? Be sure to read our best Xbox One headsets list.
- 100% Wireless - Experience crystal clear, interference-free game and chat audio with 100% wireless connectivity to your Xbox One
- Superhuman Hearing - Gain competitive advantage by hearing every sound around you, like enemies sneaking up on you, weapon reloads before an ambush, and distant vehicles bringing in reinforcements
- Mic Monitoring - Say it, don't shout it thanks to the ability to hear the volume of your own voice inside the headset
- Independent Game & Chat Volume Control - Easily find the perfect balance between game audio and chat audio
- 15-Hour Rechargeable Battery - With up to 15 hours of gaming per charge, you'll always be ready to play
#3 – PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset
While Sony has released a further-upgraded version of this, we still always tell PS4 gamers to consider grabbing the PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset. Yes, the PlayStation Platinum Headset is a bit better in some respects, but, dollar for dollar, it’s hard to beat the awesomeness of the Gold model.
User Rating: 4.3/5
Platform: PlayStation 4, PS3, PS Vita
Sony is one of the few companies that produces quality gaming headsets for its own platforms. The PlayStation Gold model is a wireless headset with brilliant audio, a good fit, a slick design, and thousands of rave reviews from consumers.
While it’s mostly intended for the PS4 it is also compatible with the PlayStation 3 and even Sony’s handheld gaming device, the PS Vita. All the more reason for a diehard PS fan to grab a pair. It also made our list for one of the best PS4 headsets available.
- A Headset for Gamers: Experience everything from the big booms to whisper-quiet warnings in stunning 7.1 virtual surround sound and chat with friends through the hidden noise cancelling microphone.
- Developed by PlayStation: With the Headset Companion App, download custom game modes created exclusively for PlayStation by developers that are specifically tuned to enhance the audio in your favorite games
- Stylish Comfort: Slip into comfort you can enjoy for hours and a look you can take anywhere. Further customize your look by swapping out the removable faceplates for something more your style.
- Adaptable Audio: Connect wirelessly to your PS4, PS3, and home computer, or connect to your PS Vita system or other mobile device with the included 3.5mm audio cable and take your sound with you.
#4 – SteelSeries Arctis 7 Wireless Gaming Headset
Finally, we come to another multi-platform option – the SteelSeries Arctis 7 Wireless Gaming Headset. This headset offers up comfort beyond measure, crisp audio, fantastic range, and everything else you could ask for in a headset.
User Rating: 4.2/5
Platform: PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, Mobile
SteelSeries is a brand that is currently most-popular amongst PC gamers, but it’s definitely a name that console gamers should come to love as well. They make all kinds of high-quality gaming accessories. Perhaps their crowning achievement, though, is the Arctis 7 – a powerful, elegant, and awesome wireless gaming headset that really packs a punch.
If you’re looking for some serious bang for your buck – the Arctis 7 is definitely a headset to consider. It has incredible audio, is very comfy to wear, and is compatible with a number of different game platforms.
- Lag-free 2.4 GHz wireless audio with up to 40ft/12m range and more than 24-hour battery life
- Exclusive ClearCast mic delivers studio-quality voice clarity and background noise cancellation
- Microphone frequency response: 100Hz-6500Hz, headphone sensitivity: 98 db. S1 speaker drivers and DTS Headphone:X 7.1 surround sound on PC (stereo audio available on Mac, PS4, Xbox One, VR, Switch, and Mobile)
- Arctis headsets feature athletics-inspired performance fabric AirWeave ear cushions and a ski goggle suspension headband for lasting comfort
- Microphone sensitivity-48 db, microphone impedance: 2200 Ohm. Arctis 7 is PC Gamer's "Best Wireless Gaming Headset of 2017"
Below we provide other options in case you’re not interested in the four listed above. While we truly believe our top 4 picks are the best wireless gaming headsets available, the models listed below are still great and worth taking a look at.
Astro Gaming A50 Wireless Gaming Headset
At the higher-end of the spectrum for gaming headsets is the Astro A50 Wireless Gaming Headset – a decent wireless audio set of cans for practically any platform.
User Rating: 3.9/5.0
Platform: Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, PS3, PC
The effective range of this headset is around 30 feet, so it should be sufficient enough for most gamers. In all probability you’ll be much closer than that anyway. The battery life is also sufficient, as it provides up to 12 hours of uninterrupted gaming enjoyment.
If you tend to play more than that in one go, you may have an addiction problem to deal with, but with the Astro A50 gaming headphones, the actual playing itself is not a problem. Place your stand near the console or PC, and you can still use the headset as it recharges, although the recharging will make it seem like a wired headset.
Much like the 2013 edition of the Astro A40 gaming headset (which I reviewed here), the sound quality on the A50s is top-notch, and there are several features that make Astro Gaming rightly famous among diehard gamers. The gaming mode emphasizes gunfire and explosions, while in a competitive mode the focus is on voice communication and the sound of footsteps.
In media mode, the quality is clear and crisp, with the bass impressive without any distortions. There may be other audiophile headphones out there with the better audio quality for music listening, but they typically cost about double the price of A50s and don’t come with a mic.
There are single 40mm drivers in each ear cup, and they simulate (to a degree) the 7.1-channel surround sound which can be activated from the mix amp that comes with the purchase. The Dolby audio processing helps smooth out the audio.
Finally, the price may be a touch on the high side, but value for money wise, the Astro A50 is simply one of the best wireless gaming headsets on the market. It’s comfy, the controls are easy, and the sound is fantastic. Connectivity is also not a problem.
- 5.8GHZ WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY Operating at a higher frequency than most wireless devices, ASTRO wireless mixAmps provides clarity and range with less interference. Available on A50 and A30 wireless headsets
- DOLBY DIGITAL 7.1 Plug into an ASTRO MixAmp and immerse yourself in the audio of your favorite games. Use every gunshot and footstep to pinpoint exactly where the fight is and get the drop on your opponents before they hear you
- MULTI-SYSTEM COMPATIBILITY ASTRO MixAmps ensure compatibility with any major platform you choose to game on. Whether you're gaming on an Xbox 360, a PS3, a PC, or a mobile platform ASTRO has you covered
- SUPERIOR FIT & FINISH Wear your ASTROs flat around your neck pro-style or clamp them on your dome for days of play in ultimate comfort. Designed with superior materials & fit, over-ear cushions and in-line mic controls
- TUNED WITH ASTRO AUDIO Working closely with pro gamers and top audio designers to deliver the highest level of clarity at every frequency, ASTRO AUDIO is designed to make your games, music, and movies sound the absolute best
Logitech G930 Wireless Headset
As you can see in this review, this is a very solid headset with a lot going. In fact, I’d say the G930 gaming headset by Logitech is the A50’s main competitor, even though it costs significantly less than the A50s. Consider it an A50 for the budget-conscious gamer.
User Rating: 3.6/5
Platform: PC (connectors available to expand compatibility)
The sound quality is impressive, and you can boost the volume as far as it can go without any distortions whatsoever. Perhaps the only issues here are that the bass may not be as good when you listen to some special tracks, and there’s no stand.
The connectivity is strong as well, and it actually reaches the 40 feet that Logitech claims. It also sits comfortably on the ears so you don’t have any issues there. The controls are designed with accessibility and ease in mind, with all of them located on the left ear cup.
Those include the power and the Dolby Digital switch, the wide volume wheel, the flip-down mic and a mic mute button, and three customizable buttons. There’s also a light that activates when you mute the mic, so you don’t have to wonder whether it’s on or not.
As I detailed in the full review of the G930, this is a very impressive headset with a lot of life in it, especially considering the extremely reasonable price point.
- Headphone Driver: 1.6-Inch (40 mm), Frequency response: 20Hz-20KHz, Impedance: 32 Ohms, Sensitivity: 90dB SPL/mW
- Microphone Pickup pattern: Cardioid (Unidirectional), Type: Pressure Gradient Electret Condenser, Frequency response: 50-20KHz, Sensitivity: -40dBV/Pa re: 0dB = 1 Pa, 1KHz
- Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound, Seven discrete audio channels, SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8USB port
- Low-frequency effects (LFE) channel, Rapid-burst transmission
- Agile frequency, Noise-cancelling mic
Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Omega Wireless Gaming Headset
The Creative Sounblaster Tactic 3D Omega is less expensive than the A50 but about the same price as G930. While it can be used right away, you can install the control panel which offers additional features.
User Rating: 3.7/5.0
Platform: Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, PC, Mac
These include an equalizer and 5 different audio settings. And there’s also a cool Voice FX feature that can distort the features of your voice, so if you want to sound like the most recent Batman, Darth Vader, or a little schoolgirl from a Japanese anime, you can do that too!
Of course, there are more important matters to consider here. First there’s the connectivity, which is very easy to set up. While the range of the Tactic 3D Omega is on the short side at just twenty feet, that’s still ample enough for gamers who tend to play within 10 feet or so.
As I explain in the roundup of the best gaming headsets for PS3, the audio on these headphones is clear and satisfying. The bass is also powerful, although you really wouldn’t compare it to what you get with high-end headsets.
There may also be some slight distortions with the vocals when the volume is on high, but at regular listening levels the sound quality is excellent.
- Analog or USB, your choice! Use the 3.5mm minijacks for direct connection to your Sound Blaster sound system, onboard audio or MP3 player or use the THX TruStudio Pro Dual Mode USB Adapter to connect to your PC or Mac via USB.
- THX TruStudio Surround Audio immerses you in the game. Hear sounds in front, behind, around, above and below you. Only THX TruStudio Surround delivers a FULL 3D audio surround experience for stunning 3D surround effects.
- Customizable TacticControl driver interface optimized with Live!Touch for touch screen controls under Windows 7 operating system
- Export and share your TacticProfile custom tuned EQ and audio profiles (optimized for Sound Blaster Tactic3D Alpha) with other gamers
- Morph your voice into different in-game characters with VoiceFX technology and restore surround audio to your Windows XP games in Windows 7 with Creative Alchemy
Skullcandy PLYR2 Wireless Gaming Headset
The Skullcandy Plyr2 is yet another affordable option our team managed to dig up (and by now you should know that a reasonable price is not always possible with wireless gaming headsets).
User Rating: 3.2/5
Platform: Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, PC
It’s also very light as well for comfort, although admittedly some may consider it a bit on the flimsy side. That’s because of the plastic build and the matte finish, but on endurance tests, it holds up quite well to common headset abuse such as dropping and bending.
The flip-down mic also automatically mutes when you flip it up, so you don’t have to worry about others snickering when they hear you arguing with your wife when they tell you to get to bed. Finally, the connectivity is superb, with about 50 feet as maximum range.
However, the low price of the Plyr 2 means that you have to put up with some pretty big annoyances. For one, the controls aren’t ideal for quick changes, and of course, the sound quality will suffer as well. The bass doesn’t really hold up, and you’ll notice the difference when the game you’re playing has lots of explosions.
If you are looking for the best wireless gaming headset, I think this list should give you an idea of some of the mid-range options as well as a glimpse of one higher-end pick. You can still look around though, but don’t forget to take note of the reliability not just of the headset in general but also the connection.
Read lots of forum posts and customer reviews, and if you think there are too many complaints about connectivity then look for something else.
- SUPREME SOUND - Proprietary Supreme Sound technology delivers powerful bass and precision highs
- DEFINITIVE WIRELESS AUDIO - Wireless technology delivers crystal clear stereo audio without tying you down
- PIVOTING BOOM MIC - Adjustable mic position flips up for instant muting
- EQ3 EQUALIZER MODES - Sound equalization settings for games, music, and movies
- COMPATIBILITY - Compatible with Xbox 360, PS3, and PC as well as most mobile phones, tablets and MP3 players