Playstation 4, the most recent addition to Sony’s long-standing line of video game consoles, has seen a whirlwind of success since its release back in 2013. Additionally, over the years, many companies have created headsets to be used with the console. From big players such as Astro and Turtle Beach to smaller, lesser-known names in the industry, there are hundreds of different headsets gamers can choose from now.
Best PS4 Headsets
Finding the perfect gaming headset can be a pain, though. There are hundreds of different models available that range in price, quality, and even comfort. So, how can you sift through all the junk and find the best PS4 headset that will feel great and provide high-quality sound for both game and chat audio?
It’s hard, but we’re here to help.
Below we’ve created a list of what we believe are the best-performing gaming headsets for the Playstation 4 console. The headsets we show below were picked based on a number of different factors including overall comfort, game sound quality, chat sound quality, price, and more.
Use this list to narrow down your selection and get that perfect headset that will give you the ultimate auditory experience while playing all of your favorite titles from Call of Duty to Destiny 2 and beyond.
Looking for more affordable options? Check out our list of the best PS4 headsets under $50 for some great budget-priced models!
Our Top 4 Headset Picks for In-Game Chat & Immersion (PS4)
If you’re finding it difficult to pick out a headset, let us be of assistance. We’ve extensively tested more than 30 different headsets to determine which ones are best and which ones are pure garbage. Below, we’ve compiled a list of what we think are the 5 best headsets on the market today. We’ve provided a short summary for each one that explains why they’re excellent choices.
#1 – ASTRO Gaming A40Astro A40 is by far the most advanced and impressive headset out today. It produces unbelievably clear and crisp sound, feature full 7.1 Dolby digital surround sound, are a super comfy over-the-ear design, and work extremely well for a wide variety of games including FPS shooters, RPGs, and more.
There’s actually a newer version (the A50), but, sadly, it’s plagued by a distinct buzzing sound in the ear cups which is quite bothersome. The A40s, on the other hand, have no big issues and provide top-of-the-line audio quality across the board.
- Pro Audio Quality
- Superior Fit & Finish
- Swappable Precision Microphone
- Mod Kit Ready
- Tuned for Gaming With ASTRO Audio
This headset comes with a mix amp which allows you to quickly and easily adjust both game and chat volumes on the fly. It also has an output that can be used for livestreaming or recording gaming videos. Astro worked with both professional gamers and seasoned audio designers to create a very impressive headset. If you can afford the rather hefty price tag, we highly recommend getting the Astro A40 headset for your Playstation 4.
#2 – PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset
It’s not often that you’ll find a quality headset that’s developed by the same company that made your console. Microsoft’s cheap and poor-quality versions for the Xbox 360 and Xbox One are a prime example. Sony, however, has managed to create a stellar pair of cans that deliver powerful audio, great comfort, and more in a relatively affordable package. The Playstation Gold headset is our second favorite product for the PS4.
- A Headset for Gamers: Experience everything from the big booms to whisper-quiet warnings in stunning 7.1 virtual surround sound and chat with friends through the hidden noise cancelling microphone.
- Developed by PlayStation: With the Headset Companion App, download custom game modes created exclusively for PlayStation by developers that are specifically tuned to enhance the audio in your favorite games
- Stylish Comfort: Slip into comfort you can enjoy for hours and a look you can take anywhere. Further customize your look by swapping out the removable faceplates for something more your style.
- Adaptable Audio: Connect wirelessly to your PS4, PS3, and home computer, or connect to your PS Vita system or other mobile device with the included 3.5mm audio cable and take your sound with you.
This headset is wireless (there’s a wired version available, but the quality isn’t as great), packs full 7.1 virtual surround sound, comfy enough to wear for extended gaming sessions without any discomfort, and it even works on the PS3, PS vita, and other devices. It’s an all-around great headset. It looks amazing, has sound clarity that exceeds expectations, and it even has pre-programmed audio modes for games like Destiny 2, Far Cry 5, Call of Duty WW2, and more.
#3 – HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset / KHX-H3CL/WR
HyperX isn’t as popular of a brand as others, but that doesn’t mean they don’t compete. This HyperX Cloud Gaming headset is an excellent design that provides crystal clear game and chat audio, is equipped with super-padded ear cups for ridiculous comfort, and both the headband and mic are fully adjustable. HyperX headsets are used in a number of different e-sports events, too.
- Extremely comfortable light weight headset with leatherette memory foam ear cups and extra set of velour ear cups
- Over-the Ear headphone with noise isolating ear cups and detachable microphone
- 53mm hifi capable drivers with 15-25khz frequency response
- Compatibility with PCs, notebooks, tablets, mobile phones, airplane adapters, and PS4 consoles
- Two year warranty.Backed by 2-year warranty and free technical support hyperxgaming.com/us/support ,1-844 464-9737,6am - 6pm PST,M-F
Overall, the KHX-H3CL/WR Cloud Gaming Headset is a winner in our books. It doesn’t irritate your ears after playing for hours, doesn’t have any hissing, buzzing, or other feedback, the sound is pretty high quality, and so on. It provides a lot of bang for your buck and is easily one of the most highly-rated products for the PS4.
#4 – TRITTON Kunai Stereo Headset
TRITTON seems to have been pushed into the shadows of larger, more successful headset companies like Turtle Beach and Astro, but that doesn’t mean they don’t make a quality product. The Kunai is an incredibly affordable, durable, comfortable, and top-notch set of headphones that works with the Playstation 4, PS3, Playstation Vita, and more.
This headset features a flexible and strong headband that sits comfortably on your head. The ear cups are well-cushioned and light which feels amazing on your ears. The sound quality is decent, too.
- In-line audio controller's 3.5mm breakaway cable directly connects to DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller
- Durable and flexible performance microphone supports PS4/PS3/PS4 Pro/PS4 Slim online chat
- Ergonomically designed for extreme comfort and prolonged gaming sessions
- Separate game and voice volume controls for PS4 and PS3 gameplay
- Includes everything needed to connect to any version PS4, PS3 or PS4 Pro/PS4 Slim
Not quite on par with the performance you’ll get from our top four picks, but, considering the budget-price on this set, it’s not bad at all. The Kunai also features independent controls for game and voice audio on the PS4 and PS3 platforms. This is an excellent choice if you’re looking for something cheaper that will last and give you a great gaming experience.
Looking for Xbox One models? Check out our list of the best Xbox One headsets instead!