Just get a new Playstation 4 console over the holidays? Or perhaps you just have some cash or gift cards you want to burn through and fancy appeasing your inner gamer with some geeky gadgets for your PS4? Either way, there are tons of nifty and useful things you can get for the PS4.
Must-Have PS4 Accessories
Below, we’ve outlined what we believe our the best PS4 accessories on the market today. This list is comprised of everything from completely optional decorative items to more practical and useful extras that every gamer should have.
Nyko Data Bank
When the Playstation 4 originally came out people were psyched that it was outfitted with a seemingly massive 500 GB hard drive. Sadly, though, the newer games have made it painfully obvious that 500 gigs is nowhere near enough. Heck, even the 1TB consoles aren’t enough for a lot of gamers.
Well, Nyko has made it stupidly simple to swap out hard drives with their PS4 Data Bank. This awesome accessory allows you to quickly and easily upgrade your PS4 with up to a 2TB hard drive. Sure, you can install a new hard drive without it, but it’s not easy to come by a 2.5 inch HD that isn’t over-priced.
The Nyko Data Bank makes it possible to use a standard 3.5-inch hard drive which are much easier to find and generally less expensive. Plus, 3.5-inch drives tend to have faster read times which is a must for today’s resource-intensive games.
- Easily upgrade the storage capacity of the PS4 up to 2TB
- Uses any standard 3.5" hard drive instead of more expensive, slower 2.5" drives
- Save money and get more storage with 3.5" drives over 2.5" drives
- Not compatible with the PS4 Slim or PS4 Pro.
- LED indicators illustrate when the PS4 is saving content or accessing the hard drive (hard drive not included)
Not everyone has enough space available to have their console lying flat. Whether you want to make room for other items in your media center or make it so that your PS4 fits beautifully on your not-so-spacious desk, a vertical stand is an excellent tool to make it happen.
The BEST stand by far is the Ortz PS4 Vertical Stand (pictured above). It’s durable, it looks great, and, as an added bonus, it has a built-in cooler and charging station. This means you can play games longer without overheating your console and have a perfect spot to store and charge your PS4 controllers.
We do understand that some people don’t like using third-party accessories. For those that would rather not use an item from another company there is an official PS4 vertical stand that comes directly from Sony. It’s functional and stylish, too, but doesn’t come with the bells and whistles the Ortz features. Plus, it’s not much cheaper.
Another handy item to have is a great charger for your PlayStation 4 controllers. There are tons of different options for this. The most basic, of course, is to simply pick up a few basic charging cables (this one is 10-ft and high-speed USB 2.0). They work great and give you the ability to play while charging, too.
If you want a more elegant option, however, we recommend checking out the Nyko Charge Base (seen above). This is an awesome little gadget that is capable of charging up to 2 PS4 controllers at once. It looks pretty cool and it fits in most small spaces, too.
The charging base has LED lights on it that indicate when a controller is charging up and when it’s ready to go as well. It’s a relatively inexpensive item and it even gives you a safe and great place to store your controllers when you’re not playing games, too.
- 10 FEET LONG RANGE - Long enough to play across your room while charging your dualshock controller
- HIGH SPEED USB - Charges your Playstation 4 controllers faster than the average usb cable on the market
- CHARGER & PLAY - Looking to charge your controllers while playing? With this long usb charging cable you are able to play your games with the convenience of charging your controller simultaniously
- COMPATABILITY - This micro usb charging cable not only works with your ps4 controllers but it also works with most android phones that use a micro usb connection port
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE - We offer a lifetime guarantee on our ortz products. For amny reason you are not happy or the product becomes defective in time, simply email us and we will take care of you with a replacement
Plan to travel with your PS4? The last thing you want to do is stuff your $300+ console in a suitcase and hope for the best. To ensure your console’s safety it’s definitely worth investing in a decent carrying case. From what we’ve seen, RDS Industries Inc’s PS4 Game System Case (pictured below) is the way to go.
This case is well-made and loaded with padding that offers awesome protection for your Playstation 4. Additionally, it features a few extra pockets that offer enough room to store up to 2 controllers, the PS4 camera, and all of the necessary cables for the console.
The case also has an adjustable shoulder strap and a carrying handle that make it easy to tote around. It looks stylish, has plenty of room for everything you need, and is excellent for keeping your PS4 out of harms way. It’s a must-have for any traveling gamer.
- Main pocket holds and protects PS4, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro Systems
- Convenient mesh inside pockets for games
- Front pocket holds 2 DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controllers, the PlayStation Camera, AC power cord, HDMI and USB cables
- Fully padded case for maximum protection
- Adjustable shoulder strap and convenient carrying handle. Video Game Platform-PlayStation 4, Compatible Devices-Video Game Consoles
Want to keep your PlayStation 4 as clean as possible? Dust is the number one culprit that leaves consoles looking old and decrepit. Plus, it’s not good for the internal hardware either. Dust buildup can cause your console to overheat and even completely die.
In addition to giving your PS4 a good blow-out once in a while, another good thing to do is use a dust cover. A good example is the Foamy Lizard TexoShield (seen above) – it’s a high-quality nylon dust guard with a soft liner. It works beautifully for blocking dust, dirt, and even minor liquid spills from touching the console.
The Foamy Lizard cover fits perfectly over the PS4 (horizontally) and has cut-outs on the back for all cables. It’s designed to be used only while the console is off (with the power on it can actually cause the console to heat up more than normal). This is a must-have accessory if want to keep your console clean and running smoothly for years to come.
- Custom designed to fit the Original PlayStation 4 specifications, PLEASE NOTE: WIll not correctly fit the 2016 PRO or SLIM Models, DO NOT use while console is powered on
- Protect your console from dust, UV, liquids (repellent) and dirt
- Back panel cutaway allows for protection without having to remove back cables
- Proudly designed and manufactured in the U.S.A. [PATENT PENDING]
- UPDATED IN 2015**** As per customer suggestions, now with softer lining material and extra coverage length
PlayStation Gold Headset
Tired of the low-quality of the sound that your included PS4 mic offers? Well, there’s a significantly better option available. The PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset is easily one of the best headsets available for the PS4.
This headset offers up gorgeous, 7.1 surround sound that truly immerses you in your games and allows you to enjoy the great work of the audio engineers that put in great effort to make titles like Star Wars: Battlefront, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, and Fallout 4 sound absolutely amazing.
The headset provides incredible clarity for both game sounds and chats making it possible to hear all the finer details of your games and talk with your friends or opponents without any buzzing, ringing, or low-volume issues. It fits extremely comfortably, too, with an adjustable headband and super-padded ear cups. Plus, it’s wireless.
If you’re looking for the ultimate game audio experience – the PlayStation Gold headset is definitely something to invest in.
- A Headset for Gamers: Experience everything from the big booms to whisper-quiet warnings in stunning 7.1 virtual surround sound and chat with friends through the hidden noise cancelling microphone.
- Developed by PlayStation: With the Headset Companion App, download custom game modes created exclusively for PlayStation by developers that are specifically tuned to enhance the audio in your favorite games
- Stylish Comfort: Slip into comfort you can enjoy for hours and a look you can take anywhere. Further customize your look by swapping out the removable faceplates for something more your style.
- Adaptable Audio: Connect wirelessly to your PS4, PS3, and home computer, or connect to your PS Vita system or other mobile device with the included 3.5mm audio cable and take your sound with you.
Looking to be able to play your PS4 while you’re on the go and can’t take a TV with you? No problem! There are actually attachable monitors you can use instead. The best one we’ve seen is the Hori Full HD PS4 Monitor (seen below) – it fits perfectly on the PlayStation 4 console, offers brilliant 1080p HD visuals, has built-in speakers, and is highly portable.
This is easily the best monitor you’ll find for the PS4 for travel play. The video quality is superb, the audio quality is great, the unit attaches to and sits atop the console without any issues, and the screen itself is 11.6 inches (a decent size for a portable screen).
It’s hard to come by a decent screen for any console. Hori has really knocked it out of the park with this one. The video quality is amazing and the sound is quite good, too. The biggest drawback is the price. But, if you have to travel and don’t have access to or room for a full-on TV, this is your best option for sure.
- Officially Licensed by SCEA
- Fits perfectly to the PS4 console
- Full 1080p HD video quality with HDMI input on 11.6" LCD screen
- Compact and portable
- Built in stereo speakers and dual audio output jacks
Other Awesome Accessories
There are tons of other accessories to look into for diehard fans of the PlayStation 4 platform. We’ve covered many of these topics here on the Gamer Wares site already.
Frankly, there are hundreds, even thousands of awesome accessories that go well with the PS4 console. We’ve written about a lot of them already and more are released nearly every month. We’ll keep you updated on all of the best PS4 accessories as they’re released and we’ve had time to thoroughly test them.
Keep an eye out for future reviews of everything from specialized backpacks used to transport your PlayStation 4 to incredible new controllers and more!